Moore’s work in the early 1940s was primarily residential and included his own residence and the Dines residence in Denver, and the Edwin Grant Ranch house southwest of Denver.
His practice was interrupted by World War II. Serving in the 8th Army Air Corps, his architectural skills led him into photo intelligence, where he was intrigued by the concrete sheds the Germans built over their ammunition dumps, making them impenetrable by Allied bombs. This interest in concrete structures would be applied to design and construction for the rest of his career.
After the war, in 1946, Tom joined Dudley Smith and Caspar Hegner to establish the firm Smith, Hegner and Moore in Denver. During the late 1940s Tom divided his time working both independently and with his partners on projects primarily in the Denver area and Western Colorado.
In 1947 Moore was asked to design operation headquarters for the Atomic Energy Commission in Grand Junction, where uranium extraction had become a large industry since the war. Unable to find a local architect to supervise construction, he moved his family there, and over the next five years he designed and led numerous commercial, public, and residential jobs throughout the Western Slope of Colorado. While designing the prescribed conventional structures for the AEC in 1947, Moore bought a small house in Grand Junction for his growing family, and immediately doubled its space with an addition. In 1947 he designed the residence for DRC Brown at Mt. Sopris Hereford Ranch near Carbondale, and the following year, also in Carbondale, he designed a remodel for the home of Harald and Patsy Pabst, which would become Colorado Rocky Mountain School a few years later
In 1948 the University of Denver hired Smith, Hegner, and Moore, along with architect G.Meredith Musick, to design a classroom building for its new Civic Center Campus (now the City’s Wellington Webb Building). Moore was the chief design architect, and the building opened in 1949. Moore also led the partnership’s design of a 30,000-square-foot lodge to replace the warming hut at the state’s first ski area, which had been operating at the top of Berthoud Pass since 1937.
In 1949 Moore was hired by the City of Grand Junction to design a new City Hall, a new regional airport, and a football/baseball stadium. In 1949 he also was hired to design the Veterans Administration Hospital (now the V A Medical Center) in Grand Junction.