Tom’s first independent work, 1937, was for James Quigg Newton. It was a rather conventional design for a large summer home near Guanella Pass in the mountains west of Denver. For this project, he also designed built-in cabinetry and free-standing furniture for specific interior locations.
Posts related to Colorado
Moore’s second project, 1938, was the Karl Arndt residence on East Exposition Ave. in Denver. This design was purely International Style, one of several modern structures that appeared in Denver between 1935 and World War II, and which, along with the works of Caspar Hegner, Victor Hornbein, and Burnham Hoyt, would influence the construction of houses and apartment & office buildings in Denver for decades.
In 1940 Tom designed and built a home for his family at 1 South Albion in Denver, where they lived until 1947. The red brick house has been painted but is essentially unchanged today.
In 1940 Moore designed a two-story house for Edwin Grant at the Grant Ranch west of Littleton on West Bowles Avenue. It is now the clubhouse of Raccoon Creek Golf Course and is still owned by the Grant family.
Moore designed this house for Ty Dines, at the corner of East Alameda and Vine Street, in 1940-41. The sheltered front door (not shown) faces Alameda, which was not a high-volume avenue at the time
Residence designed in 1946-47 for DRC Brown at Mt. Sopris Hereford Ranch near Carbondale.
While designing the conventional structures for the AEC in 1947, Moore bought a small bungalow in Grand Junction for his growing family, and immediately doubled its space with an addition.
Moore led his partnership’s design of a 30,000-square-foot lodge to replace the warming hut at the state’s first ski area, which had been operating at the top of Berthoud Pass since 1937. The lodge opened in 1949; it was demolished in 2005.
At 1445 Cleveland Place, this is considered Denver’s most important example of International style architecture, with stair towers, horizontally ribboned windows, and the use of cantilever. Originally the Denver University School of Commerce, it was leased to the City and County in 1968, and sold to the City in 1971. Moore was chief design architect. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. With a new 12-story north addition, it is now part of the Wellington Webb Complex.
In 1949 the new City Hall was built on the site of the old Lowell School at N. 5th and Rood Avenue in downtown Grand Junction.