Posts related to Denver

The Arndt Residence in 2012

Arndt Residence at E. Exposition Ave, Denver – 1938

Moore’s second project, 1938, was the Karl Arndt residence on East Exposition Ave. in Denver. This design was purely International Style, one of several modern structures that appeared in Denver between 1935 and World War II, and which, along with the works of Caspar Hegner, Victor Hornbein, and Burnham Hoyt, would influence the construction of houses and apartment & office buildings in Denver for decades.

Moore Residence, 1 South Albion at Ellsworth Ave, Denver, 1940: front of house. Photo 2011

T E Moore Residence, Denver – 1940

In 1940 Tom designed and built a home for his family at 1 South Albion in Denver, where they lived until 1947. The red brick house has been painted but is essentially unchanged today.

Grant Farmhouse on West Bowles Ave, Littleton, now the clubhouse at Raccoon Creek Golf Course. All exterior that is visible today is the center section, with newer additions at right and left.

Edwin Grant Ranch, Denver – 1940

In 1940 Moore designed a two-story house for Edwin Grant at the Grant Ranch west of Littleton on West Bowles Avenue. It is now the clubhouse of Raccoon Creek Golf Course and is still owned by the Grant family.

Sunny courtyard of the Dines House. Original front door is on north side of this wing.

Dines Residence at E. Alameda, Denver – 1941

Moore designed this house for Ty Dines, at the corner of East Alameda and Vine Street, in 1940-41. The sheltered front door (not shown) faces Alameda, which was not a high-volume avenue at the time

The rounded 12-story addition was built in 2002

Civic Center Classroom Building, University of Denver – 1949

At 1445 Cleveland Place, this is considered Denver’s most important example of International style architecture, with stair towers, horizontally ribboned windows, and the use of cantilever. Originally the Denver University School of Commerce, it was leased to the City and County in 1968, and sold to the City in 1971. Moore was chief design architect. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. With a new 12-story north addition, it is now part of the Wellington Webb Complex.

View of the city block occupied by Gilpin School.

Gilpin School Addition, Denver – 1950

The large red-brick Gilpin School was built for Denver Public Schools, located north of downtown Denver at 2949 California. Today it is a Montessori Public School.

The original University Park School can be seen at far right of new complex.

University Park School Addition, Denver – 1950

In 1950 Moore designed an extensive addition to the historic University Park School in Southeast Denver.

Street view of Folmer residence.

Folmer Residence, Denver – 1954

Folmer residence, Denver. House faces west. Stone trim added later. Interior living space has ample south-facing glass.

Steps leading to front door. Note corner windows.

William Grant Residence at S. Humboldt, Denver – 1955

Grant residence at 101 S Humboldt, overlooking the Denver Country Club golf course. Prue Grant continued to live in the house until her death at age 99 in July 2012, .

View from Lincoln Street.

KOA Television Studio, Denver – 1957

KOA television studio (NBC) on Lincoln Street, Denver. Tom collaborated with his cousin Ted Moore, who was chief architect on this project, 1956-57. Today it is KCNC-TV, owned by CBS.